Hades has won the Game of the Year award at the 2021 Game Developer Choice Awards.
The awards ceremony, which is part of the Game Developers Conference (GDC), honoured Supergiant Games’ Greek myth-inspired roguelike with its top award. Additionally, Hades was also awarded Best Audio and Best Design.
While Hades took the GOTY award, Ghost of Tsushima took home the Audience Award, as well as Best Visual Art award. With two or more awards each, they were the most decorated games of the show.
Other awards were handed to Phasmophobia dev Kinetic Games, Naughty Dog, Valve, and Media Molecule. You can see the full list of awards and winners below.
- Best Audio: Hades (Supergiant Games)
- Best Debut: Phasmophobia (Kinetic Games)
- Best Design: Hades (Supergiant Games)
- Best Mobile Game: Genshin Impact (miHoYo)
- Innovation Award: Dreams (Media Molecule / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best Narrative: The Last of Us Part II (Naughty Dog / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best Technology: Microsoft Flight Simulator (Asobo Studio / Xbox Game Studios)
- Best Visual Art: Ghost of Tsushima (Sucker Punch Productions / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best VR/AR Game: Half-Life: Alyx (Valve)
- Audience Award: Ghost of Tsushima (Sucker Punch Productions / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Game of the Year: Hades (Supergiant Games)
- Pioneer Award: Tom Fulp (creator of Newgrounds)
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Laralyn McWilliams (28 year industry veteran, creative director of MMO Free Realms)
Hades has swept award ceremonies since its full release in 2020. We awarded it our own Game of the Year 2020 award, and it has since won game of the year at the Gayming Awards, SXSW 2021, BAFTA, and D.I.C.E Awards. If you’ve yet to play it, it’s available on PC and Switch, and is coming to PlayStation 4/5 and Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One on August 13. It will be on Game Pass for anyone playing on Xbox consoles.
Matt Purslow is IGN’s UK News and Entertainment Writer.